On Thu, Feb 24, 2022, 11:22 Timothy Scoppetta <scoppet...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I may be speaking from the bias of my comfort zone but hosting the pdf on
> any modern cloud storage (gs, s3, etc) should give you this for "free."
>
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2022, 08:19 <bro...@netgate.net> wrote:
>

> > It’s like it’s 1995 again :-). Here’s a resource for scripts but to use
> > them your hosting server will need to have CGI
> > capabilities:
> >
> >    http://www.scriptarchive.com <http://www.scriptarchive.com/>
> >
> > For a lot of reasons I would recommend not adding counters to your page
> > and instead glean stats from your access files.
> >
> > Kevin
> >
> > On Thu, 24 Feb 2022, Michael Barnes wrote:
> >
> > > It seems like I have forgotten more than I knew in the first place.
> > >
> > > Anyhow, I have a small website for a group that is just a simple
> > hand-coded
> > > page and a pdf file for download. I have been asked if it is possible
> > > add a visitor counter and a download counter (This page has been
> visited
> > ##
> > > times, This file has been downloaded ## times) to the page. I don't
> need
> > > any kind of tracking or  anything, just a raw count of page accesses
> and
> > > file downloads.
> > >
> > > My coding skills are passing fast, and I'm looking for something really
> > > simple. I did a quick search and everything I see seems to involve
> > > complicated databases and analytics. I want KISS.

No counters, with the exception of access logs, will work without CGI
enabled and working.

The simplest cgi implementation is probably to increment number embedded in
a file in access.

This can be done with any scripting language you are familiar with,
available in your webserver cgi config and reasonably secured.

-T