Wow! This is a highly personal question that really depends on your use
cases.

But for a point of comparison, my use cases tend to be bimodal. That is, my
compute needs are either very light ( email, browsing, text editing ) or
very heavy ( analysis of scores of TB ) with very little in between. So,
for the light compute needs, I use a Chromebook with the Linux VM enabled (
Debian 11 ) running Docker ( every other distro ) For the heavy, I use the
cloud ( AWS, GCP, Azure, Digital Ocean, etc. ) and connect to them using
specific environments I create within Docker ( e.g. AWS CLI ).

Hope that's helpful. And let us know how things go for you.

Regards,
- Robert