Dual booting should not be a problem. I just recently created a dual
boot of Windows 11 and Ubuntu 22.04 without any issue.  If you want to
do the dual boot, I would suggest installing Windows first or if the
laptop came with Windows, then you will need to resize the Windows
partition to give room to install Linux.  Most Linux distributions
today should be able to handle that type of install.

Although I like the idea of running Linux and just make Windows a VM,
that way you could still remotely access their system via Linux, while
they play in Windows.  I actually did something similar almost 20
years ago for my mother-in-law, since I did not want to keep running
over to her place to fix her computer.

--
Cheers,
Jeff