On Sun, May 1, 2022 at 3:30 AM Richard Owlett <rowl...@cloud85.net> wrote:

> > *MY QUESTION*
> > What should I be reading to install Debian along side Windows that will
> > likely have UEFI and possibly Secure Boot? The last time I dual booted
> > Linux/Windows it was on a legacy BIOS system.
> >
> > TIA
>
> My question triggered a VM related discussion.
> *HOWEVER* I must deal with reality.
> There are external constraints. The primary OS *will be* MS Windows.
> Anyone have an answer to my question?
> TIA

In this day and age there are just so many solutions less fraught with
dangers than dual booting, everything from booting from an external disk to
using Windows' own WSL2 to using the cloud for either Linux or Windows or
both, that there seldom is a reason for dual booting that cannot be met by
some other solution.  And often those other solutions are not only less
dangerous, but also offer features that dual booting does not, including
isolation from Windows, simple snapshot/recovery, and access to both
systems at the same time.

What concerns me are two main items.  First, these individuals are familiar
with Windows and require Windows for their missionary work.  In most IT
circles, this would classify their laptop as a "Production" system.  And,
second, you are not familiar with creating a dual-boot system and do not
have a spare system on which to practice ( otherwise, you would have told
us what you've tried thus far on your spare system. )  Now, you are asking
our advice on how to put Linux on a Production system in a dual-boot
configuration.  My advice: please, don't do that.  Why?  Because there is a
high probability that something will break.  And when that happens, it will
make the entire Linux community look bad.

My recommendations are therefore these:

1) read about backing up AND restoring Windows ... a lot
2) get a spare Windows system and practice backing up AND restoring ... a
lot
3) read about dual-booting ... a lot
4) practice setting up a dual-boot on that spare system ... a lot.
5) read about virtualization ... a lot
6) practice setting up WSL2 and a VM on that spare system ... a lot.

And probably before all of that, get comfortable with searching the
Internet.  Google is a good first choice:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dual+boot+debian+windows+10+uefi

If after all that, you still think that setting up a dual-boot system on
their laptop is the way to go, you'll be at least somewhat comfortable with
the process.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Regards,
- Robert