To all:

It's been a really bumpy ride activating the appropriate video drivers for my Nvidia GEForce 710T vga card.

Here's what lsmod shows now

owner@localhost:~> lsmod | grep nv
nvidia_drm             69632  6
nvidia_modeset       1204224  16 nvidia_drm
nvidia_uvm           1130496  0
nvidia              35471360  845 nvidia_uvm,nvidia_modeset
drm_kms_helper        303104  1 nvidia_drm
drm                   630784  10 drm_kms_helper,nvidia,nvidia_drm

so my system is now running with native Nvidia drivers (signed, btw)

What is missing is the fact that the OpenSuse Leap 15.4 is using signed kernel modules, and my HP 420 Workstation is a UEFI system, expecting signing keys before enabling kernel modules, and having to manually sign modules eluded me.

Worse, Nvidia listed the WRONG driver to download the G06 series although their website says G06 for the 710T card, but an error message from the kernel during boot time, lecturing me that I could NOT install the 515 series drivers, caused me to go back and drop back down to the legacy 471.141 series. Fortunately I had installed the Nvidia repository so I could make the change under openSuse's yast2 program or zypper.

btw: trying to do the native Nvidia install forces the UEFI user to enter both a public and private key and I have NO idea where they are stored, although running the mokutil --list-all is useful, but still doesn't tell you where the keys are.

I had to reboot, but then enter the UEFI firmware, remove the G06 key and install the G05 key. After all this, I was able to bring up Leap 15.4 without a hitch, so I am running nvidia modules directly now

All this is like a gob-smacker, to someone who's never done this before (me) so I had to work my way through all of this carefully.

Thanks for all the replies, they are appreciated!

- Randall