I need an little application that will pop up a reminder on the same
day of every month, and crucially, *leave it on the screen until I
manually close the window*. There are lots of notify tools, but they
just pop up a little notice for 10-20 seconds and then the notice
disappears.

So far the only thing I have found is Remind, and its GUI tool,
Tkremind. I've installed both, and they run, but there is no
documentation other than a man page, which I can't figure out. That is,
I created a reminder, but it never appears, so clearly I haven't done
it right.

The purpose is to pay a bill that comes due every month on the 20th,
and each month with a different amount. I could set up an auto-pay with
my bank, but not if the amount varies. The vendor also has an auto-pay
option, but to use it I have to give them my credit card number and
authorization to charge it for whatever they want. No thanks, I'm not
that stupid.

I could probably figure out how to use cron, but cron needs to call a
program to do the announcement. Or at least I think it does. Cron is a
mystery to me.

Surely there exists a simple, understandable reminder app. Any
suggestions?