To all:

Some careful troubleshooting with removing the Firefox browser (and cache and local files) and reinstalling revealed the problem with the DNS issue was due to advanced settings called "DNS over HTTP" or DoH was being used to push the requests to the Cloudflare DNS servers.

I was NOT even aware that this setting had been set. After the new install of firefox, it is NOT using the DoH option and things seem normal

The VPN is now working correctly, and the VPN is pushing its DNS requests to the private encrypted non-logged VPN DNS associated with the VPN IP, just as ProtonVPN advertised so I am happy about this.

In the clear, Comcast Communications is directing my system's DNS request to 3 of their DNS servers located in Beaverton OR.

I am hopeful of changing that, but I might not be able to, since I do NOT have control of the firmware in the Netgear C6300v2 cable modem, as Comcast reserves the right to push firmware upgrades solely from them and NOT from the user.

Maybe I will have to find a better cable modem / router WIFI box?? (but Comcast might disallow on their network)

Randall