On Fri, 24 Mar 2023, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

I never depend on RAID either RAID5 or mirroring for backup purposes.

Ted,

Since having 2 drives in a RAID1 array and mirrored in a logical volumne for
backup, and both drives were somehow wiped, I'm thinking of using only one
disk (with xfs installed) for /media/backup and using a cron job (running
after the daily backup at 00:30) to rsync to the other disk. That way I have
two mirrored backups independent of each other.

I'll ponder this overnight. Having separate hard drives containing the same
backups (one written by dirvish the other rsync'd) seems to me to be less
likely to both fail at the same time.

Regards,