On 3/27/23 13:40, King Beowulf wrote:
On 3/27/23 11:05, Dick Steffens wrote:
In Xfce you can try deleting $HOME/.thumbnails and then running

$ xfdesktop --reload
Nothing changed.

It could be that the .thumbnails is getting too big, too many stale
thumbnails.
.thumbnails is empty.

Also check your Thunar settings: Edit -> Preferences -> Display -> Show
Thumbnails.
Set for Local Files Only.

I did a restart and the problem is fixed.
Dick,
(You must be using a graphical login.  Restarting xfdesktop doesn't
restart X or reboot here.)

Yes. Graphical login.

Interesting...This implies another utility is getting "lost"

Thunar uses external packages to generate thumbnails - tumbler and/or
ffmpegthumbnailer.  Since it runs as a daemon, it doesn't always
reload/rescan.  Try:

$ update-mime-database /usr/share/mime
$ thunar -q

this will refresh mime database (happens on reboot) and quit thunar
background processes.  When restarted, it should generate thumbnails.

I'll save this email for when it happens again, and give that a try.

Also, I previously forgot to mention also $HOME/.cache/thumbnails/*
Might be a good idea to clear that out and start fresh.

You can also try to refresh your Xfce DE and WM.  YMMV!

$ xfce4-panel -r && xfwm4 --replace

Have fun!
-Ed

Thanks.