My Panasonic RP-HT 161 stereo headphones were connected to the desktop
through a mini-phone jack to USB adapter. When I used a Zoom test it told me
the headphones worked. During the Zoom meeting, they didn't work.

Over the past several years I've used a pair of Creative Pebble speakers. I
finally realized that while they're okay for streaming background music they
are horrible for voice, distorting it so it's unintelligable; I'm replacing
them this weekend with a pair of PreSonus Eris E3.5-3.5" near field studio
monitors. While this change will allow me to hear videos, for a Zoom (or
Jitsi) meeting they'll feed back to the Marantz Pro MPM-1000 condensor
microphone, so I want to use headphones.

Pavucontrol didn't see the headphones using the USB connection. Connecting
them to the output jack on the rear of the desktop pavucontrol the Output
Devices tab shows ADA ATI HDMI (Digital Stereo [HDMI 2] Output unplugged),
Line Out (plugged in) and Headphones (unplugged) and the Configuration tab
shows HD-Audio Generic (Analog Stereo Duplex).

The Zoom meeting is being rescheduled but I need to fix the headphone issue.
What might be the issue here?

TIA,