On Sun, 16 Apr 2023, Dick Steffens wrote:

I have an old boom box and some audio tapes. I'm trying to run the
headphone out of the boom box into the computer. I've tried the mic input
on the front, and the back of my desktop, but none of my recording
software finds the sound. I'm using Audacity. I also tried Audio Recorder
with the same results.

Please apply the appropriate clue stick to let me record some audio from an external source.

Dick,

Are you using the audio chip on the motherboard with a mini-phone jack
that has a blue ring? It might be the system isn't seeing the external
imput. The mic input has a red ring surrounding it and the boom box output
is different from a microphone output. Try the blue mini-phone jack on the
system's rear panel.

Regards,