On 4/16/23 16:05, Dick Steffens wrote:

First I tried the jack on the front that is not the headphone jack. I think it's a mic in jack, but don't know for sure. Then I tried the red ring jack on the back. I've switched to the blue ring jack. Still no results in Audacity.

In Audacity I have four options on the tab with a microphone icon:

HDA Intel PCH: ALC887-VD Analog(hw:1,0)
HDA Intel PCH: ALC887-VD Alt Analog(hw:1,2)
pulse
default

All I get is a graph with a straight line at 0.0, in other words, no signal recorded.

Sometimes it turns out that having multiple machines is helpful. I moved my recording process to my other desktop machine. I can record now. I get an actual graph in Audacity. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like what I'm used to. Plus, there's a lot of noise.

Instead of the usual graph, I get a very wide blue bar with some graphing visible on it. As I said, it's noisy, but the graph doesn't give me a convenient way to sample the noise to remove it. I have the headphone out of the boom box plugged in to the line-in on the back of the computer. While it works better than on the front mic jack, it's still not ideal. I'm not sure if there's some way I can fuss with the boom box to clean things up, but that will be for another day. When I finish fussing I will still try to figure out why my primary machine doesn't connect the way it should.

Anyway, thanks, Rich, for your recommendation about using the line-in. I should have done that from the beginning, and I know better.

Sigh.

Time for dinner.

--
Regards,