I second the recommendation for Fastmail, as well as POBox.

Features of both:
- No ads and no scraping emails for "relevant" ads
- You can use your own domain name or theirs (you don't have to have a custom
domain)

They also have these advantages over Protonmail
- Works with any imap email client (Protonmail's paid plan requires a Bridge
app for Thunderbird. etc)
- Doesn't have known/deliberate issues sending/receiving email to mailing lists
or other cases where the from address is legitimately changed

https://fastmail.com - I use their $5/mo plan for me, and $3/mo plan for my
wife while I start the long process to migrate away from gmail.

https://pobox.com - Their $50/yr plan includes hosting your mail for you. The
lower plans only Forward mail to your own mail server. I'm looking to add them
alongside Fastmail with a second custom domain so that I don't have all my eggs
on one basket.