Question about swap file vs swap partition.

I have a dozen spinny disks with too many ancient
distros on too many machines.

I am slowly consolidating to a few Debian 12 Bookworm
machines with Samsung terabyte SSDs.

When large-RAM low-power fast motherboards become cheap
enough, I will migrate to those.  More RAM may imply
larger swap areas (a semi-religious debate I hope to
avoid). I want to be ready if the "large swap" zealots
win the debate and design software dependent on swap.

SSD swap seems MUCH better than spinny-disk swap,
very fast access compared to moving a spinny disk head
across a platter ... though way slower than RAM.

----

Large SSD swap also facilitates fast hibernate, though
Debian startup and shutdown are amazingly fast using
an SSD (10 seconds startup/login, 2 second shutdown).

Perhaps I don't need hibernate-to-swap.

----

One of my recent SSD experiments resulted in a too-small
swap partition.  Inept resizing attempts borked the file
system.

But ... I can also create a huge swap file on a regular
ext4 file system, and easily up-size the swap file when
I install more RAM.  Resizing a partition is more complex.

I've read some online debates about swap partitions vs.
swap files.  Most of the debates are from the spinny disk
era; the speed tradeoffs have changed radically.
My main concern is reliability, software compatibility,
and ease of maintenance rather than maximum speed.

----

I suspect I will need SOME separate-partition swap, but
I hope I can get by with a few gigabytes, relying mostly
on a big swap file, growing that swap file over time as
I migrate to motherboards and laptops with more RAM.

At 69.9 years of age, I should also minimize complexity,
deploying systems that I can maintain with an 80 or 90
y.o. brain someday.  My father-in-law is 105, and his
Windoze computer took many days to decrapify.  I won't
have a son-in-law to do that for me.

So, that's a lot of yammering, another sequela of excess
age.  In summary:

"Optimum SSD swap? ?? ???"

Keith

--