I have been successfully joining Zoom meetings in my browser
(firefox). There is a hard to see link on the meeting page, you can
refuse to open their application and just click the
"join in browser" link instead. Since I've been using the browser
version exclusively for the last 6 months or more, I don't know
anything (recent) about the Zoom application.

At a rough approximation, Wayland is a "modern" window management
system to replace X11, the latter of which has supported graphical
applications on Linux/Unix since the dawn of time. The distinction is
intended to be invisible to normal users. More detail and perhaps
accuracy is available here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_(protocol)

--
Russell