On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 02:11:03PM -0700, Dick Steffens wrote:
> >Intertubes Sez that the Cyberpower 800AVR uses one SP12-7.5
> >SLA battery, which should produce perhaps 13 to 14 volts
> >disconnected.  That Sealed Lead-Acid battery is probably
> >six cells in series, and if one cell has reverse-charged,
> >the voltage will be too low and the battery not chargeable.
> >Replacement SLA are easy to find - Interstate All Battery
> >Center has them (some of their stores only have car
> >batteries) and Batteries Plus has them.  They can test
> >the old battery, but they might not honestly tell you
> >if it still works (and your 800AVR is borked instead).

> The battery has 12.54v. Sounds like my UPS is borked. Any ideas on
> how to test it? And any recommendations on who makes a good,
> moderately priced model?

At 12.54 volts open circuit, the battery sounds marginal,
and may be WAY below spec with a load.  I'd take it to
an honest battery store for testing.

Either the UPS unit or battery could be good or bad ...
OR a computer power supply might be slightly wonky;
a UPS cannot deliver a huge startup power surge the
way a 20 amp wall socket can.

An old incandescent light bulb (not LED or fluorescent)
makes an "interesting" test load; it draws a startup
surge, vaguely similar to the startup surge of a
computer power power supply.  For my UPS tests, I test
multiple 100 watt incandescent bulbs, adding one at a
time; a gentler way to learn the limits of the UPS.

I use zero incandescent bulbs for lighting, but I keep
a box of obsolete filament bulbs for tests like this.

Your "800VA" unit produces a maximum of 450 watts.  The
(sad) reason for touting VA rather than watts is that
the voltage and current waveforms can be out of phase
with a computer power supply (or electric motor) load.
And possibly more wonky than that; A pathological load
can overload or damage a UPS, even though the VA and
Watts seem small.

However ...

Before you buy another UPS, purchase a P3 "Kill A Watt"
Electricity Usage Monitor, $30 from Amazon, $28 at the
Cedar Hills Harbor Freight (NOT Home Despot).  That
reads watts, VA, power factor, line frequency, even
accumulating kilowatt hours.

I have more than one P3.  I lashed one permanently under
my computer bench: two desktop computers, two screens, two
KVM switches, and a UPS to "in the darkness bind them".
Currently reading 228 watts and 239 VA, more when I run
big numeric calculations on multiple cores.

Knowledge is power, but so is voltage times current
times power factor.

Keith L.

--
Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com