On 9/27/23 14:12, Russell Senior wrote:
I have a UPS in my basement right now, beeping every 14m53s and the
battery is fine. The problem is oxide on the connector. Every 3-4
months I ritually disconnect and reconnect the battery terminals a few
times to scrape off the oxide layer and it's well again. That is just
to say that underlying causes can vary. There may be a manual
somewhere that describes troubleshooting steps for your UPS, and
describes lights and beeps and what they mean.

It did look like there might have been some corrosion on the battery tabs. I applied your technique, and the battery tabs look cleaner. I plugged the unit back into the wall and turned it on. Still has the same problem: green light, then beep-beep followed by no power, which repeats.

Right now I'm copying a few things from this machine to my laptop. Then I'll shut down this machine, move the UPS over to the other end of the desk, and plug in the other machine.

Then I'll look into whether I need a UPS with more capacity. The one I have is 850. There is a 1500. I'm guessing it's the next level up. Some suppliers still have the 850, but it sounds like it's being retired in favor of the 1500.

Time to start researching UPSs again and see who currently makes the best, moderately priced unit. Amazon has the 850 for $117. Best Buy no longer has it. Amazon has the 1500 for $174. Best Buy, $222.

Any recommendations for other brands?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens