On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 02:21:48PM -0600, Michael L Torrie wrote:

> There are a couple of things about these new vim features that have
> really started to bug me.  They are that the advanced features like
> completion, etc require an emacs-like keystroke to enable.  In Visual
> Studio, Kdevelop, or eclipse, the editor is a lot smarter than that.
> Simply typing "." or "->" after an object name presents a drop-down list
> of possibilities, which narrows as you type.

To each his own.  If I want something to pop up, I'll tell it to pop up.

There are a lot of applications and web pages that assume that you
always want things popping up all over the place.  This can cause major
problems.  The following happens at least once a day:

1) I type a URL in the Firefox address bar and hit enter.

2) I get taken to some page deep inside the site.

Why does this happen?  It turns out that the mouse was hovering just
over a place on the screen that was originally safe but later turned out
to have a drop down menu.  Firefox autoselected the address sitting just
under the pointer.

I have a similar problem with web pages with auto pop-up menus.  I'll
move my mouse to click on a link somewhere on the page.  Somewhere along
the way it happens to go over a pop-up menu.  By the time I've noticed
the menu, I've already clicked the mouse button, and I get taken to the
wrong page.

Who thinks this sort of design is a good thing?  I personally think it's
terrible.  I absolutely HATE things automatically popping up and jumping
all over the screen.

In the case of code completion, I only want a menu if I want a menu.
Most of the time I'm not going to want one, and popping one up is only
going to make me dizzy and distracted.

But if you like that sort of stuff, don't use Vim.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/