<quote name="Stuart Jansen" date="Thu,  5 Jun 2008 at 15:48 -0600">
> On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 15:38 -0600, Jonathan Duncan wrote:
> > I would not say that taking care of our own problems first is the same
> > as being isolationists.
>
> I'll get around to saving for retirement, just as soon as I pay rent,
> the electric bill, the cable bill, and buy the bring screen TV I want.

Saving for retirement is analogous to dealing with our national debt.
Rent and other bills are our taxes every day, a constant, and the big
screen TV is our "non-isolationist" policies.

> Some things can't be put off until later, because later is WWII and no
> matter how softly we walked, using our big stick is going to be painful
> and costly.

So because we can't walk softly enough it means we should just throw
caution to the wind and blunder our fat ass all over other countries?

> I'm not saying we should invade Iran. Of course that'd be stupid. I'm
> just saying we can't sit back, plug our ears and hope that all the
> problem in Iraq, Afganistan, Iran, Korea, Indonesia and other parts of
> the world will just go away. We knew about the Taliban but we thought
> Afghanistan was so far away and so poor it had nothing to do with us.
> Look how that turned out.

I never said we should plug our ears and ignore things. I just said we
need to prioritize. We can worry about isreal when we know how the
situation threatens us AND we know what we can do about it. There was
some very good, very well planned actions being carried out after 9/11
to capture bin laden and his croonies, but mid step they got backstabbed
and left out in the rain by special interests who would have wanted
nothing better than an actual war with Iraq. [1] And then they say not
to go to war is "isolationist". Give me a freakin' break.

Von Fugal

[1] http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/bushswar/