On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, info wrote:

I have an ATI Radeon X800 graphics card using the fglrx and AMD has greatly improved the driver over the last year. The performance for my X800 is the same as it would be in the other OS. AMD has also been delivering same day graphics support for all of their new cards. So if you wanted to buy the latest ATI 4870 graphics card it does work. nVidia has support for their latest GFX, but it is in their beta driver so don't expect that to work in any distro yet. Phoronix has benchies if you want to see them.

I have yet to get dual monitor mode working with ATI's drivers. Tried the catalyst control panel, the gnome panel, editing the xorg.conf file. Can get mirrored mode, but not xinerama. Anyone successfully got this to work? Right now I'm dealing with mainly X1300 cards (not too powerful).

I have an x800 and an x850 and no success getting dual monitor to work. I have tried 10+ distros and no luck...

On the bright side, compiz works great on a single monitor with the drivers that make Barry run and hide...

I have a Mobility Radeon X700 and it works well with the free X driver with 1 monitor. I've only been able to get a 2nd monitor (separate displays, not mirrored) with fglrx, but it works well. The AMD setup stuff just worked.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation