On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 13:02 -0600, Kyle Waters wrote:
> Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> >
> > I would start by avoiding ATI.  I have always found that nVidia Linux
> > support has always been better.  Especially in the MythTV realm.
>
> I was hoping ATI was better since they were bought by AMD, but I haven't
> read anything that's indicated the promised changes had taken place(thus
> me emailing the list).

The ATI drivers are 10x better than what they were.  AMD has giving them
a kickstart and the OSS world is slow shifting from NVIDIA to AMD.
AMD/ATI has give OSS all the design docs necessary to get OSS drivers
for it (Radeon,ATI  I believe) to have good support.  Development for
them is going at a rapid place thanks to these docs and support from
AMD.  I don't think the driver is quite on pace with NVIDIA's but I am
not sure as I don't have a ATI chipset.  However, I would suspect in the
next 6 months the ATI driver (maybe not the proprietary blob, but the
OSS one) will surpass NVidia's driver.  NVidia has taken a bad stance
against opening any of their docs up to developers and aren't helping
the open source projects like noveau and the like.  They are leaving a
bad taste in the mouth of OSS.

Just to give the picture of where things are heading.

Nathan