On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 6:32 PM, Wade Preston Shearer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> No, Orem has had an infestation of Japanese beetles for a few years. The
> only way to get rid of them was via aerial spraying. This spray was not save
> for consumption however so that city informed residents that they should not
> grow a garden. What's ridiculous about the man in the story's position is
> that if the city didn't spray, he wouldn't have a garden either because the
> beetles were eating it all. So, he had a choice, go without a garden for a
> few years while the city exterminates or go without one forever as the
> beetle population infests everything.

Ahh yes, I remember the Japanese beetle problem.  My Dad (Ph.D. in
agriculture) went to several town meetings about it.  From what he
said about it I gathered there was a lot of insult-hurling and very
little rational discourse.  Sounds like this guy was one of the
primary contributors.