On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 10:14:47AM -0700, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> On Friday 05 December 2008 09:18:21 am Von Grant Fugal wrote:
> > There is less MONEY to go around, but I will say it time and time again,
> > MONEY IS NOT WEALTH!
>
> I agree. Money is not wealth. Money is a means of wealth transferrence.
> Wealth, is measured in property. An interesting aside is, when you use a
> precious metal as money, it now wears two hats.
>
> > Why is it bad for me or anyone else, if when capita increases, we all
> > have less money? There's more people per unit money, but there's also
> > more goods per unit money, so really it all balances out.
>
> How is there magically more goods per unit money with an increase of capita?
> An increase of capita is an increase in demand, not supply.

It is an increase in demand, but it is also an increase in
population. More people means greater scope for specialization and
comparative advantage. Therefore people are more productive, and
everyone is wealthier.

Try a simple mental exercise: Robinson Crusoe, alone on his island,
has no-one with whom to trade. He must hunt, cook, wash dishes,
etc. When Friday shows up, they can trade: say Friday is better at
hunting that Crusoe, but Crusoe better at cooking. Friday hunts,
Crusoe cooks. Both do what is to their comparative advantage, and both
are better off.

Neither one is going to be looking for a job as python
programmer. That's specialization with a vengeance.