Joseph Hall <jos...@thatworks.com> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Shane Hathaway <sh...@hathawaymix.org> wrote:
>> Also, some server motherboards provide little info via lm_sensors, but
>> provide extensive info via IPMI.  If lm_sensors isn't providing info, we
>> should try IPMI next.
>
> I'm game. Looking at my distro, I see freeipmi and OpenIPMI. Two
> different packages that do the same thing? Is one better than the
> other? Looks like OpenIPMI is already installed on my server.

I have extensive but dated (over a year ago) experience with IPMI.  As
far as I could tell, OpenIPMI's user-level tools were garbage, but the
low-level API was useful when coupled with other tools.  FreeIPMI was
new, but had an excellent developer team and was making rapid progress.
The other frequently used tool was ipmitool, and it worked pretty well
but was somewhat stagnant at the time, and had scaling issues.

I'd go with FreeIPMI, myself.

                --Levi