On Feb 19, 2009, at 11:41 AM, Shane Hathaway wrote:

Nicholas Leippe wrote:
Not if it's a *personal* server for his home lan... his local 100Mb/ GigE is going to outperform anything crossing his DSL/cable connection hands down.

Right. I have both, a home server and an externally hosted virtual server. The external server is better for hosting web sites, while the home server is better for unusual stuff like:

There is no reason why someone who wants *total* control could not run their own VPS and Home Server. Using something like Proxmox[1] you can run your own OpenVZ containers or KVM machines to host your website and also experiment with the crash prone os's that you might install in a new KVM. Obviously your connection and hardware would be the two major factors in deciding on this method.

I have actually been doing this for quite sometime and it works quite well.

[1] http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Main_Page

Chad