So my solution to this is setup multiple clients.

I have the base share setup in Samba, Netatalk and NFS.  It is a little more
work, but each flavor offers great flexibility.  Getting to a netatalk share
with a mac is a breeze, same with samba for windows.  I've had enough trouble
in the past with samba shares suddenly not working for my Mac clients that it
was worth offering netatalk.

-James