On 7/15/2010 3:25 AM, Henry Hertz Hobbit wrote:
> On 07/14/2010 04:21 PM, Levi Pearson wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> Seriously guys, this is a USERS group.  Neither McBride nor Stallman
>> would have anything useful to say about USING Linux.  One of them is
>> out to make a buck, and happened to end up on the wrong side of a
>> lawsuit.  The other is the leader of a social/political movement, and
>> seems to be only really interested in advocating that movement.
>>
> Have you had any personal interaction with Richard?  I have and
> you are very wrong.  He single-handedly created the entire
> movement that if it has not been done there would be no Linux for
> you to use.  He also created the EMACS text editor. He also uses
> Linux.  I joked to him that I would make sure that I would give
> him /usr/bin/emacs for his shell.  You may disagree with his
> politics but without the FSF and the Gnu Public License (GPL) you
> would have no Linux OS to use.  You would also not have GnuPG which
> is the free side of OpenPGP encryption that is on all Linux systems.
> > From the looks of it some distros are using GnuPG instead of SSL
> certs now to make sure your downloads for the updates to your OS
> are legitimate. I would say Stallman is front and center behind
> the movement that gives you the Linux OS that you are using.
>
> The only importance Darl McBride has for me is as an example of
> how not to live your life by making an illegitimate and
> unethical money grab.  In the past I was neutral about him.
> The more I learn about him the less I like him.  He may be
> personable enough but he strikes me as both dumb and selfish.

Richard Stallman would win with his GNU Lazer vision unless Darl McBride
could use his patent infringement suit in time.  Richard's getting on in
years, so I think it would be close.

No offense meant, unless you want to take some or something, but you're
not exactly the forefront authority on social graces and human value in
my mind.  Your opinion actually makes me think less of Stallman and I'm
more intrigued by McBride.

-Tod Hansmann