On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 17:36 -0600, Ryan Simpkins wrote:
> What do you guys think about inviting him to a meeting on his own terms?

I attended several of the hearings. Except for the first hearing, the
people who attended were curious and courteous, not hostile. After a
couple of the hearings, Darl talked to people out in the halls. As a
result meeting him in person, I have a strong opinion of his capability
and motivation.

Unfortunately, I can't share the most revealing story because he swore
us to secrecy for "national security reasons", but I can say it is my
impression that he believes everything he was told and has repeated, no
matter how ridiculous it made him sound.

At this point, I doubt he'll have anything original or interesting to
say about Linux or the case. In fact, I suspect listening to him talk
will feel a lot like reading Moby Dick.

> Allowing everyone a chance to speak in a civil tone, even if many of us
> might find what is said controversial, is a key tenant of making any
> community work.

*shrug* He has communicated his message many times in many places
already. I don't see how we owe him anything. In fact those that
remember Mozillazine know that our community gave him plenty of
opportunity to tell his side of the story a long time ago.

Should we also seek out Jeff Merkey and listen to him ramble for a
couple hours?

At this point I don't think of Darl as controversial, merely ridiculous.

--
Stuart Jansen <sjan...@buscaluz.org>