On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 01:36:01PM -0600, Levi Pearson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Dave Smith <d...@thesmithfam.org> wrote:
> > I've been using tc/netem to do things *like* this, but it has a few
> > drawbacks:
> >
> > 1. tc requires root access

> You're going to either need root to create tun/tap devices, or you'll
> need to virtualize the system your code runs on so that the virtual
> machine presents an ethernet device that really connects to some sort
> of pipe.

I agree with Levi's statement.  Dave, is there a way to get around
having root access that I haven't thought about?  The only thing that I
could think of would be using a network simulator like ns or omnet, but
I think network simulation would pair poorly with what you're trying to
accomplish.

> > 2. tc is sophisticated (does a *lot* more than I want)

Then just use part of it. :)

> > 3. tc has a tricky command line interface
> >
> > I'm thinking this might be a good stand-alone executable that would be
> > well suited to Google Go.
>
> If you're okay with using root access to create a couple of tap/tun
> devices, you could easily link them with a simple program.  Here's a
> tutorial: http://backreference.org/2010/03/26/tuntap-interface-tutorial/

A nice tool to configure tunnels and netem would be really interesting.
I envision such a tool tying in with the netem functionality in the
kernel, and it wouldn't necessarily need to use tc.  But it sounds like
maybe Dave has something else in mind.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/