On 04/16/2011 02:21 PM, AJ ONeal wrote:
> More importantly, why isn't SSO being used instead?

Let's say you're developing a public web site and you want people to
access it more securely than they would access a blog.  What kind of
authentication would you use?  I doubt it would make sense to use
Facebook, Twitter, Google, and so on as a SSO service since people
frequently use poor passwords with those services.  OpenID has major
usability problems.  Are there any other SSO options that public web
sites can use?  (Shibboleth, Kerberos, client SSL certs, and others
require client-side configuration, making them useless for public web
sites.)

> And in the rare case that authorization depends on discrete
> authentication, what is the password being used for?

> If it's a *bank password*, then J4fS<2 is terribly insecure.
>
> He has it written in his wallet.

Agreed, that's why all password fields should allow passphrases and
password meters should rank "this is fun" at least as high as "J4fS<2".

> (My bank requires a short (6 min, 8 max) password with randomness.

Your bank is foolish to disallow more than 8 characters.

> If it's *e-mail*, the strength of the password is incredibly important,

Correct.  In today's environment, e-mail passwords are effectively SSO
passwords.

> With the e-mail password you can get the plain-text password sent to you
> from any blog or like account.

I assume you're also talking about clueful web site operators who store
only a salted password hash, never the plaintext password; clueful web
sites still allow you to reset your password by sending a secret URL to
your email address.

> The strongest password is one that you don't write down or give out.
> Mathematically fits the bill in my book.

I think "mathematically" should be allowed as a password, but not scored
very high, since I believe it is much more guessable than a phrase even
as simple as "this is fun".

Shane