Thus said Shane Hathaway on Sat, 16 Apr 2011 12:41:31 MDT:

> I want to  include this idea in  the password meters I  create for web
> applications. I need a better password scoring algorithm. I don't want
> to *require*  any minimum  password complexity  (other than  a minimum
> password  length), but  I  do want  to  help the  user  choose a  good
> password.

Inform them  of the  risks of  using a  bad password  and what  kinds of
information will  be compromised due  to a  bad password, let  them make
their own risk assessment. Offer a  button that says ``Generate a secure
password for me,'' and  then call apg -a 1 -M  SLNC (or whatever options
you think are good for your appliations),  serve it up to them over SSL,
and see if they take it. If this  isn't enough to convince them to use a
stronger password, then they have been warned.

Andy