On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Tod Hansmann <plug....@todandlorna.com> wrote:
> Anyone have any up-to-the-moment opinions on any digital SLR cameras?
> Looking to get something that I can do some nice photos and possibly HD
> video here and there.  I don't want to do any lock-in formats like the
> Sony Memory Stick (tm) or whatnot, but I'm not opposed to non-standard
> formats like xD cards or something.

Canon or Nikon.

Between the two is a lot like arguing Fedora vs Ubuntu.

We have a Canon T1i, because we wanted that good-yet-entry-level DSLR
that gave us all the right options for a moderate price.  The largest
factor in picking a Canon over the similar Nikon model was that my
brother (who does higher end photo work) also shoots Canon, and has
the nice lenses that we can borrow off him, as well as rely on his
experience and familiarity with the interface.

That's probably what should be your biggest factor, if you have a
friend with lenses, because they make all the difference.

Go for the Rebel, or I forget the line on Nikon that compares, and
then spend some money on some better lenses than come in the kit.

Then, join up with a group like the utah photowalkers or strobists.
Like plug it's all pro's and hobbyists who enjoy what they are doing,
and love teaching and experimenting.

--
Jayce^

The Cloud is my Platform