I am writing a Linux desktop application (written in Qt) in which I'd
like to launch the user's preferred terminal. I am at a loss for a way
to do this that would work across multiple distros: RHEL5, RHEL6, Fedora
13+, Ubuntu. I have used xdg-open, for example, to launch the user's
file browser, web browser, etc, but I am at a loss for how to launch the
correct terminal. For now, I have just resorted to always launching
"xterm", but that is pretty lame. At one point, the xdg-terminal script
looked promising (which I only found mentioned via Google), but none of
the package managers seem to know about xdg-terminal on any of the
aforementioned distros.

Any ideas?

--Dave