On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 10:29 PM, Dave Smith <d...@thesmithfam.org> wrote:
> I am writing a Linux desktop application (written in Qt) in which I'd
> like to launch the user's preferred terminal. I am at a loss for a way
> to do this that would work across multiple distros: RHEL5, RHEL6, Fedora
> 13+, Ubuntu. I have used xdg-open, for example, to launch the user's
> file browser, web browser, etc, but I am at a loss for how to launch the
> correct terminal. For now, I have just resorted to always launching
> "xterm", but that is pretty lame. At one point, the xdg-terminal script
> looked promising (which I only found mentioned via Google), but none of
> the package managers seem to know about xdg-terminal on any of the
> aforementioned distros.

So, I was pretty excited to help you out because we just did that for
a client using Qt/PySide (well, really QML - lots of fun) and it
worked great.  I was digging around in my code and it turns out that
we used Python (sans PySide) to do it.  Specifically, we used
"webbrowser.open(url)" We develop things in Ubuntu but we tested this
on Mac, Win and Linux; all worked.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help by offering a pure Qt method; I tried :(

Best,
Gabe