I should have been more precise and said open source content management system
for unstructured content.

Drupal, Wordpress, and Plone are web content management systems that focus on
presentation management.

Alfresco is a general content management system that can handle web content
management (structured content, usually XML) and any other type of content like
documents and images (unstructured content).

Alfresco is regularly deployed as a back-end to Drupal and Plone to add a
robust authoring platform to the web presentation system. It is also used in
non-web scenarios for workflow, content transformations, search, and more.

Common application domains are invoice processing, insurance forms, user
documentation, publishing, records management, video, images, etc.

Unstructured content management is one of those generic tools, like a database,
that can be applied in a wide range of scenarios. But most developers don't
realize such tools exist off-the-shelf and end up building their own.

Richard