On 09/16/2011 11:19 AM, Richard Esplin wrote:
> I should have been more precise and said open source content
> management system for unstructured content.
>
> Drupal, Wordpress, and Plone are web content management systems that
> focus on presentation management.
>
> Alfresco is a general content management system that can handle web
> content management (structured content, usually XML) and any other
> type of content like documents and images (unstructured content).
>
> Alfresco is regularly deployed as a back-end to Drupal and Plone to
> add a robust authoring platform to the web presentation system. It is
> also used in non-web scenarios for workflow, content transformations,
> search, and more.

I'd like to understand, but I'm struggling because I would describe
Plone with the very same words you used to describe Alfresco.  In fact,
these days people often use a separate process to present Plone on the
web (see Diazo, XDV, or Deliverance), so that Plone can focus on
authoring (with all its workflow, collaboration features, and
modularity) instead of presentation management.

If I download and install Alfresco to figure out what I'm missing, what
should I pay attention to?  I want to be impressed.

Shane