On 8/7/2012 3:27 PM, Joshua Marsh wrote:
> On Aug 7, 2012 2:49 PM, "Ryan Byrd" <ryanb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [root@CurrentlyRunningServer ~]$ rsync -ave ssh --delete /* root@NewServer
> :/
> --exclude={/etc/sysconfig/*,/dev/*,/proc/*,/sys/*,/tmp/*,/run/*,/mnt/*,/media/*,/lost+found,/home/*/.gvfs}
>> Then he'd just set up the new ip addresses on the new server, and WHAMMO!
>> web server #2.
>>
>> Good idea? bad idea? something better?
> You should check out tool like salt or chef. They were designed to do thing
> like this, but in a cleaner, more reliable manner.

Seconded.  I will also add that if you have a filesystem capable of
doing snapshots, just copy the snapshot of the whole filesystem over
instead of copying the VFS version.  I've heard of utilities that will
monitor for file changes and keep copying over changes files, and I hear
good things about Mondo, but I could be mistaken since I've never used it.

The way I'd personally do it if there wasn't a snapshot method available
is: a) image copy the whole drive over or b) use this opportunity to
build a "build process" that's possibly even scripted.  The salt/chef
style setup may be good here.

-Tod Hansmann