On 03/15/2013 10:30 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 03/15/2013 10:11 PM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
>> The question then is what is a good router/switch (up to a max of 8
>> ports needed), to put in these outdoor enclosure boxes.
>> The environment is coastal and there is a LOT of rain, but no other
>> weather to speak of and the temperature is warm but not hot, 70-85f
>> year round.
>> I've already explained that there will probably need to be a hardware
>> refresh every 2 to 5 years, and that they should purchase 20 routers
>> total.
>
> What do you mean, "router?" What kind of topology are you looking for,
> exactly?  A "router" could mean the sort of NAT device that people have
> in their home, or a fancy Layer 3 device that speaks 802.1q trunking.
>
>> The budget for the hardware needs to stay below $10kUSD.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Cisco's out... Just one Layer 3 core router would run you about that much!
>
> I remember reading about a company once that was using Linux to develop
> switching and routing hardware for a fraction of the price of the big
> players like Cisco.  Can't remember anything about them or the open
> source project that underlayed it.

Are you thinking of Vyatta? I haven't looked at them for a few years,
but I ran their software on a PC a while back and it seemed pretty good.
Apparently Brocade bought them so that could be good or bad. Might be a
good choice for your main router.

For the edge routers, I'd go with a Mikrotik Routerboard 493G which has
9 onboard gigabit copper ports. The RouterOS software is extremely
powerful. It supports VRRP which would work for your failover scenario.
And at $150 or so, you could even afford to have a second one in the
cabinet. At work I use these all the time in outdoor enclosures and they
rock.

http://routerboard.com/RB493G

If you need a little bit more power, maybe for your core router, I'd
look at the RB1100AH.

http://routerboard.com/RB1100AH

Corey