*At 2:23am on 4/26/2013, Corey Edwards wrote:*

* *

* *

*> You're on the right track. Maybe I can get you the rest of the way there.
*

* *

*That's interesting. I seem to recall things like that when I worked for
the (now defunct) C4 communications. This brings a question to my mind. In
each scenario, how would you expect to handle ip routing from the outside
to multiple IPs, assuming they are all going through a Wi-Fi router (for
example, the Asus RT-16N mentioned a month or so ago). I doubt that the
standard firmware likely wouldn't handle it so you'd need to upgrade it to
one of the open source variants (DD-WRT, OpenWRT, Cherry, etc...), which
for this example is perfectly fine. But let's use a simplistic setup for
this. We'll assume two machines that I wish to access from the outside.
Given your example of a /28, let's say the two boxes in question receive
the IPs of 192.0.2.3 and .4. Let us also assume I wish to access DNS (tcp &
udp) as well as smtp & ssh on both. .3 also gets access to a posgresql
database, apache (normal and ssl), CIFS/Samba, and the secure+non-secure
flavors of IMAP. And just to make things interesting, let's assume that I
wish to limit any data transfers to/from .4 to 5mbit/sec, while leaving the
traffic to .3 unrestricted. Since the open source firmwares are basically
variants of Linux (from what I've heard at least) does that mean that I
could use IPtables on the router? Is there a way in the firmware's web
interface to accomplish all this? Do I need any kind of NAT in either
situation (setup A or setup B)?*

* *

*I'll freely admit that while I know a fair amount of the basics of Linux,
getting into more advanced topics like ip routing and what not is reaching
to about the limit of my experience. So I turn to you folks for help on
this, with thanks!*

* *

*--- Dan*