*On April 28, 2013, Jima wrote: *

* *

*> When I used Comcast for internet, my IP rarely changed. Actually,*

*> thinking back, I'm not sure it changed i the year we had it. I'd have*

*> to check my dynamic DNS logs to be certain, though.*

* *

*Well, that's what their web page said all those years ago. Business class
customers would get to use a "semi-static" IP address, and it specifically
stated that it changed about every six months. Now maybe that has since
changed. If so, it's very handy. If not, well,  I can figure something out
I guess. I don't absolutely NEED a static IP, but it would surely be a lot
easier if I got one. :)*

* *

*> We do still have Comcast for video, and all we have are TiVos with*

*> CableCard. The biggest issue you'll have is installation -- regardless*

*> of what the scheduler might tell you, next to no installation techs know*

*> a thing about CableCard. As with Charter, the only way we managed to*

*> get it working was walking the installer through the process*

*> ourselves...thank goodness both my wife and I are technical enough for
that.*

* *

*That's cool. What exactly is the procedure? I've never used CableCard
before so I'm about as knowledgeable as the average installer right now.
Unlike the installers though, I'm eager to learn more. :) Is there a URL or
something you'd recommend I read? Or some other resource?*

* *

*I know for my purposes I'd probably setup a MythTV box, and use that tuner
I saw in a magazine about a year ago. It was a single PCIe card that had
four tuners on the card and had a slot for a CableCard card in the metal
chassis. Either that or something similar would work just grand for my
purposes. I'm not too worried about on-demand stuff. Just recording things
from channels like HBO or CBS or SyFy or what not at scheduled times. I'll
leave the on-demand stuff for the normal TV. It will probably be a rare
event that I use it, really. I know when I was visiting my parents several
years ago - after selling my old house and not having the newly purchased
house available to me yet (separate, long story) - there was no on demand
usage the entire month I was with them. Not just them, but even _I_ was not
terribly interested in their on demand offerings. :)*

* *

*--- Dan*