On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Sasha Pachev <sa...@asksasha.com> wrote:
> Barry's comment proves the point that Java is not really that fast for
> development time.

All it proves is that I'm not willing to spend any time with a
contrived benchmark.  I've worked in Java projects with dozens of
developers and over half a million lines of code.  That code can run
hundreds of threads for months at a time.  If a null pointer is
dereferenced, only one thread has a problem (the whole process doesn't
core dump), it doesn't leak memory, it is almost invulnerable to stack
and buffer overflow security issues, and it performs very well.  All
of that comes with at least an order of magnitude less effort in
planning and correlating on the part of developers than if it were
written in C or C++.  Just because an irrelevant benchmark doesn't
prove something doesn't mean it proves the opposite.