On 05/31/2013 12:36 AM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> I should clarify that the real risk is this data leaving Colorado.  A point
> to point connection isn't feasible, the data needs to traverse the
> internet, but do so only within the state of Colorado.  If it crosses
> statelines it becomes a legal issue, not a technical one.  Think about the
> way courts treat internet gambling (i.e. it falls under federal
> jurisdiction because the data crosses state lines even if both parties are
> in the same state).  This gives you an idea of the reasoning, but no it's
> not gambling.

I'll repeat what Gabe said.  It is not possible to prevent a packet from
leaving the state.  Legal or not.  If there's no precedent in case law
yet, and if the law does not recognize this fact and account for other
means of "virtually" containing information, then it's simply not
possible to comply with it.

As an example, when I had a Comcast connection at home in Provo, a
traceroute from my home to BYU campus went through San Jose.  Anytime
you have to hop from one network to another, the peering points could be
anywhere.