On 10/21/2013 8:42 PM, John D Jones III wrote:

well, I've got to be pretty handy building FreeBSD based Router/Firewalls out of old HW, but you can do things like a simple Fileserver/DLNA/etc server too... typically those kinds of things do not require very much in the line of resources and are pretty easy to work with. If you want to contribute to the community, you could set up an Arch Linux installation, adopt some packages on the AUR and build a package build server to build those packages and run a nice package repo from it too... use minihttpd or thttpd to serve the packages. I have a build script I used to build my Cinnamon packages for Arch Linux: you can port it to what ever list of packages you adopt. https://github.com/jnbek/cinnabuilder the idea is simple, set up a weekly cron to run through and dl the PKGBUILDs and build packages out of them. Doesn't require TONS of resources and you can give back to the community too.

I was more going for what one might do to find suitable places to donate this hardware to "the cause" of someone doing something with it that the trash heap would not. Basically, I can dispose of it, or send it somewhere else. What "somewhere else" do we suggest? Either way, it will not be in my possession at the end of it.

-Tod Hansmann