On 01/19/2014 07:17 AM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
Ok I'm severely confused.

Here's some background.

Someone decided to donate a couple of R9 290x's to the Orgcoin project to
help with development efforts.

Previous to that point I had been working with 2 ATI 6870x2s (4 GPUs on 2
cards).
Theoretically, a single R9 290x should perform at least as well as all 4 of
the previous GPUs and do so at 1/4th the electricity cost and almost none
of the heat (which is a shame because we had been offsetting our heating
bill with the miner :).

The box with 4 GPUs was running CentOS 6.0 64bit and an older catalyst
driver.
It choked when I put the R9's in.  But eventually I got it to boot with
some massaging.

Nevertheless the older Catalyst drivers didn't recognize the card and
updating the drivers wasn't solving the issue of the GPUs not being
detected.

Realizing it was probably time to just blow the box away and move to a more
up to date OS, I went ahead and did a wipe/install.  I replaced CentOS with
Debian Wheezy because the current guides on mining all seem to agree that
Debian is best for the purpose.

Unfortunately 64bit debian refused to boot even when the mobo was stripped
(no cards just the on-board video). (this was true even after reseting the
bios to default configs, some bios changes were evidently nessecary to boot
CentOS off this MOBO, those changes were not something that any other
distro seemed to like).

The 32bit i386-686 pae image booted and ran just fine first time and
every-time.

So now here I am, I have a fresh clean Debian install and I'm about to
install the latest and greatest ATI drivers straight off the AMD site.

Here is where it gets wierd.
The current release version of catalyst is 13.12 with a release date of
12/19/2013
The current beta is 13.11beta with a release date of 1/08/2014
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Linux+x86

It seems the beta which was released later has a lower version number than
the release version.
So which one would you pick?

Is this just a numbering quirk, or did they really update the beta after
the release?
Thanks!

I'm running 13.12 with my R9 280x cards. It seems to be the best performer (meaning my cards aren't crashing on it), and it does properly detect the R9 series of cards. Currently, the (older) 13.11 & 13.8 beta drivers detect my 280x cards as 7970s, which is what they basically are. I imagine they would detect the 290x cards as 7990s.

As far as the beta driver version is concerned, I couldn't find a good reason for it either. The 13.11 beta driver has been available for months, and I, too, found this beta release odd.