My behavior is different. I suspect it's due to your configuration, and not a
bug ZSH. You might get more help on Stack Overflow.

I suspect that tab completion is handled by the lines that start

zstyler ':completion:'

I think my line that governs this behavior is this one:

zstyle ':completion:*' completer _complete _ignored

I can't really help more. A few years ago I tweaked zsh as little as possible,
and haven't touched the configuration since. I don't understand most of the
options.

Good luck,

Richard