On Tue, 18 Mar 2014 11:04:22 -0600
Jacob Albretsen <ja...@xmission.com> wrote:

> My experience this week is the interviewers are claiming the job is 6
> month contract-to-hire, and the recruiter is claiming it is direct
> hire.  The recruiter checked with his people after the first bit of
> confusion during the phone interview and supposedly it was cleared up
> and was indeed direct hire. Then at the second interview, I was told
> no, 6 month contract-to-hire.
>
> So like I said, verify everything.  Repeatedly.

Indeed. But I would be wary of this company. I think it might be
reasonable to ask if the company's communications are always this bad.
The responses will be telling.

On the other tentacle, I went into a large company many years ago,
through a recruiter. I had, I believe, a half hour with each person who
was to interview me. Because no-one had been given my resume
beforehand, and n-one had asked for it beforehand, I spent a large
portion of each interview twiddling my thumbs while each interviewer
scanned my resume. This did not create a good first impression for me!
I ended up taking the job, and subsequent communications were better.

Moral of the story: either have your resume on line (as I did at the
time) or bring spare copies to your interviews.

supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV