I think the http proxy suggestions are valid, but the real issue is
still that a lot of distros are installing a lot of crap that we
neither want, nor need. Bluez is a great example. And cups? None of my
production servers need it. But thanks to LSB, it gets installed a
lot.

Various distro philosophies make this more problematic. I understand
that some people do in fact use LDAP + http auth with Apache, but I
don't think it's the norm, and it drives me crazy that RedHat doesn't
let you install Apache without openldap, just because upstream Apache
was kind enough to include some configs for it. That's kind of the
RedHat way: resolve all the deps, and don't muck with upstream any
more than you have to. (Yes, I know they patch a lot.) I've often
thought about making a Debian-like set of rpms to solve that problem,
but that particular itch just wasn't big enough for me to scratch.

BTW, where is your git repo?

--
"In order to create, you have to have the willingness, the desire to
be challenged, to be learning." -- Ferran Adria (speaking at Harvard,