On 5/15/2014 12:07 AM, Dan Egli wrote:
On May 13, 2014, Nicholas Leippe wrote:

I use eix for searching portage. Emerge eix then replace your
crontab
"emerge --sync" line with "eix-sync" and away you go.
It doesn't help selecting/installing, but since it indexes
portage makes
searching very fast.

Interesting. But not quite what I'm after. I rarely do a emerge -s style
search. What I want is a full GUI that lets me select things for install or
removal. Just as an example, suppose I install kde-meta (or gnome-meta for
those who prefer gnome). That's going to install a ton of packages that I
don't need. So now perhaps I want to remove a lot of those packages. I can
search through the portage files to determine exactly what files are in the
KDE portion of the portage library and make a list, or I can use a GUI
program instead. And if it's a curses-style program I could avoid the issue
in the first place by skipping kde-meta and installing only the kde-*
packages that I want.

Still, eix looks like it's something I might have a use for. Thanks for
that. Now if only someone could find (or write) a good curses-style front
end to portage that includes the ability to install/remove packages. Hell,
it can call emerge to do the actual work. I don't care. I just don't want
to sort through all those lists without some sort of interface a bit more
friendly than the standard command line. :)

I see Porthole (GTK+) and Himerge (Haskell). Both are full on guis though, not curses. I don't see much else in a quick scan of Google. There's a couple that seem to have broken with recent versions of portage, but not much.

--
Matthew Walker                          HAM Call Sign: N7TOX