On December 5, 2014, Levi Pearson wrote:
> Although DIY network router projects typically have more *features*
> than you get on a commercial home network router product, they
> certainly don't universally work *better* at the core networking
> tasks. The open source alternatives on commercial router hardware
> sometimes do *worse* at network throughput tests due to sub-optimal
> configuration and handling of CPU-level processing of the network
> protocols. Sometimes there's hardware to accelerate things that isn't
> used optimally in the open source versions, etc.

Well, that may be the cast on high end routers. I've never been able to
afford more than an entry level wireless router myself. I have had two of
them, and one of them never supported open-source firmware (in fact, I went
to the Tomato web page, and it specifically gave a "do not use" rating to
my router). The other one did in fact support open source firmware (don't
ask me what model it was, that was almost ten years ago) and it worked just
as well with the open source firmware as it had with the factory firmware.
It may have been a bit better, but even if it wasn't, it most certainly
wasn't any noticeably worse. I will freely admit I didn't exactly run
before/after benchmarks. But that doesn't change the fact that the router
SEEMED to work a whole lot better with open source firmware.

> But whatever you do, don't try to build a router out of an RPi.

That's coming across loud and clear. Believe me, that particular project is
crossed out. I think as far as the router goes, I'll just do as you said,
get a cheap home router that's supported by one of the OS firmware distros.
While not as educational, it will still be functional and will get the job
done, plus I can still do some experiments with the configuration and such
so as to get some education out of it. :)

Any good recommendations for a Linux-compatible (DD-WRT or Tomato would be
best) off-the-shelf router? I want it to be AC capable and have gigabit
ethernet ports for the LAN. Wan could be Fast Ethernet or Gigabit, really
doesn't matter. Either will more than suffice for my internet pipe. I
imagine the other features I need (such as multi-address NAT) will be
supported via the OS firmware. :)

Thanks for the tips!
--- Dan