On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 12:45 AM, Dan Egli <ddavide...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Many home-brew/DIY projects lack the polished look of the commercial
> models. But they are fun to get assembled, and work better than a
> commercial model too.

Dream on (in this particular case).  You ignored the part where I
said it wouldn't be as good. If you DIY a router over pi USB (the
only way I know how to do it), it's going to be a lot slower than
commercial router box, even though it has more processor and RAM,
and runs a complete Linux distro.  Beaglebone has better USB
hardware, but it's still USB.  If either of them had [mini]pci[e]
expansion, it might be possible to do something approaching the
speed and reliability of a commercial router box.

Which brings me back to the original question.  The GPIO pins on
arduino and pi are designed for interfacing to control and DIY
electronics.  In theory, one could design an ethernet board to work
over that interface.  But it would be a kludge, not something better
than a pci NIC (or maybe even a USB NIC) because high-speed data
transfer is not what they're designed for.

Pi is designed for an educational tool, maybe a set-top box,
which it sucks at, and has been coerced into some arduino-type
applications that could use more processing power or easy
networking (home control, monitoring, robotics, electronics,
etc.).  Beaglebone is much more capable at the last one, and
either can do lightweight serving that doesn't require much file
or network I/O.  Outside that, you're putting a square peg in a
round hole.

I love my pis.  I've had one running my sprinklers for a couple of
years, and I'm setting up one to control my z-wave temperature/flood
monitoring and WiFi thermostat.  But there are just some things they
don't have the hardware to do well.

Barry